Many people with Alzheimer’s disease wander away from home or their caregiver. There are ways you can help prevent wandering and keep the person with Alzheimer’s safe. Check out these 7 tips:
- Do not leave a person with Alzheimer’s who has a history of wandering unattended.
- Place STOP, DO NOT ENTER, or CLOSED signs on doors.
- Divert the attention of the person with Alzheimer’s disease away from using the door by placing small scenic posters on the door; placing removable gates, curtains, or brightly colored streamers across the door; or wallpapering the door to match any adjoining walls.
- Install safety devices found in hardware stores to limit how much windows can be opened.
- Install an “announcing system” that chimes when a door is opened.
- Secure the yard with fencing and a locked gate.
- Keep shoes, keys, suitcases, coats, hats, and other signs of departure out of sight.
Get more tips about preventing wandering in a person with Alzheimer’s disease on our website.