Doing things we enjoy gives us pleasure and adds meaning to our lives. People with Alzheimer’s disease need to be active and do things they enjoy— there are ways you can help!
Plan activities that the person with Alzheimer’s enjoys in your daily routine and try to do them at a similar time each day. It can be something simple and routine, like folding laundry or cooking, or more active, like dancing or gardening. Here are things you can do to help the person enjoy the activity:
- Match the activity with what the person with Alzheimer’s can do.
- Choose activities that can be fun for everyone.
- Help the person get started.
- Decide if he or she can do the activity alone or needs help.
- Watch to see if the person gets frustrated.
- Make sure he or she feels successful and has fun.
- Let him or her watch if that is more enjoyable.
Learn more about adapting activities for people with Alzheimer’s on our website.