Being physically active is one of the most important things you can do to maintain your health and independence as you age. Physical activity can help boost your health and improve your mood. However, even if you know the benefits of physical activity, it’s not always easy to stay motivated to exercise. Keep these tips in mind to help you stay moving:
- Find ways to fit exercise into your day. You are more likely to get moving if exercise is a convenient part of your day.
- Participate in activities you enjoy. Be creative and try something new!
- Make it social. Find a virtual “exercise buddy” to help keep you going and provide emotional support.
- If there’s a break in your routine, get back on track. Start slowly and gradually build back up to your previous level of activity. Ask your family and friends for support.
- Keep track of your progress. Make an exercise plan and don’t forget to reward yourself when you reach your goals.
Check out NIA’s infographic for more tips to boost your motivation to exercise.