Exercise and physical activity are great for your mental and physical health and can help keep you independent as you age. The key to being successful and safe when beginning a physical activity routine is to build slowly from your current fitness level. A steady rate of progress is the best approach for staying motivated and avoiding injury.
To play it safe and reduce your risk of injury:
- Begin your exercise program slowly with low-intensity exercises.
- Warm up before exercising and cool down afterward.
- Pay attention to your surroundings when exercising outdoors.
- Drink water before, during, and after your workout, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Wear appropriate fitness clothes and shoes for your activity.
- If you have specific health conditions, discuss your exercise and physical activity plan with your health care provider.
Find tools to track your fitness progress and more information on how to get started with exercise on NIA’s website.