As 2021 comes to a close, NIA invites you to explore some of the most popular health information topics from this past year:
- Four Types of Exercise Can Improve Your Health and Physical Ability — Research has shown that it’s important to get all four types of exercise: endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. Each one has different benefits.
- Shingles — Shingles is a disease that triggers a painful skin rash. About one in three people will get shingles, and your risk increases with age. We also released a new video on shingles this year.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Fact Sheet — Alzheimer’s disease is a brain disorder that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills, and, eventually, the ability to carry out the simplest tasks.
- What Are the Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease? — For most people with Alzheimer’s disease, symptoms first appear in their mid-60s, but it’s likely that damage to the brain starts a decade or more before memory or other cognitive problems appear.
- What Are Palliative Care and Hospice Care? — It’s important for older adults to plan ahead and let their caregivers, doctors, or family members know their end-of-life preferences in advance.