As you age, changes in your health can affect your driving skills. Some changes that can affect your ability to drive safely may include:
- Stiff joints and muscles that make it difficult to turn your head to look back, turn the steering wheel quickly, or brake safely.
- Trouble seeing people, things, and movement outside of your direct line of sight — especially at night.
- Trouble hearing horns, sirens, and even noises from your own car.
- Medications that make you feel drowsy, lightheaded, or less alert
Read more about health changes that may impact your ability to drive and how to stay safe on the road. This information is also available in Spanish.
You may also be interested in:
- Downloading or ordering a free copy of the Older Drivers AgePage
- Learning how to talk to your doctor about sensitive issues
Last Updated on December 10, 2021