Home is the place where we spend a majority of our time. However, six out of every 10 falls happen at home. There are simple changes you can make to your home to help avoid falls and ensure your safety. Consider these tips:
- Install handrails on both sides of the stairs and make sure they’re tightly fastened.
- Make sure there is good lighting with light switches at the top and bottom of stairs and on each end of a long hall.
- Mount grab bars near toilets and on both the inside and outside of your tub and shower.
- Put nightlights and light switches close to your bed.
- Keep electric cords near walls and away from walking paths.