Hearing loss is a common problem for older adults. About one in three people between the ages of 65 and 74 have hearing loss. Here are seven tips on how to cope:
- If you notice signs of hearing loss, seek professional advice.
- Let people know you have a hearing problem.
- Ask people to face you and to speak more slowly and clearly. Also, ask them to speak louder without shouting.
- Pay attention to what is being said and to facial expressions or gestures.
- Let the person talking know if you do not understand what he or she said.
- Ask the person speaking to reword a sentence and try again.
- Find a good location to listen. Place yourself between the speaker and sources of noise and look for quieter places to talk.
Visit the NIH website to learn more about hearing loss in older people
Last Updated on April 29, 2020