Alzheimer’s disease can affect a person’s sleeping habits in different ways. For example, it may be hard to get the person with Alzheimer’s to go to bed and stay asleep. They may sleep too much or not enough and they may wake up several times during the night. However, there are strategies that can help caregivers manage sleep problems. Caregivers can:
- Plan activities that use more energy early in the day.
- Set a quiet, peaceful mood in the evening to help the person relax.
- Try to have the person go to bed at the same time each night.
- Establish a bedtime routine.
- Use nightlights in the bedroom, hall, and bathroom.