As you age, you may need to get vaccinated to stay protected against certain serious illnesses. It’s important to stay up to date with your vaccinations and talk with your doctor about others you may need. Vaccines may be given to help protect you, and others, from:
- Flu (influenza): A virus that can cause fever, chills, sore throat, stuffy nose, headache, and muscle aches.
- Shingles: A disease that affects the nerves and can cause pain, tingling, itching, a rash, and blisters.
- Whooping cough (pertussis): A serious illness that causes uncontrollable coughing fits, which can make it hard to breathe.
- Pneumococcal disease: A serious infection that spreads from person to person by air and often causes pneumonia.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): A respiratory disease that causes fever, cough, and shortness of breath and can also lead to serious illness and death.
Read more about vaccines recommended for older adults.
Last Updated on August 16, 2021