The Dementia Friendly Glencoe Initiative aims to provide community-wide education on awareness and mindfulness around dementia that will help impacted individuals continue engaging in community life while living independently and enhancing their quality-of-life.
The Village of Glencoe and Family Service of Glencoe have joined forces with a vision of reducing the stigma and isolation that often affect individuals living with dementia. Dementia Friendly Glencoe will create a more welcoming and inclusive culture by providing support for individuals diagnosed with dementia, care partners and community members.
Dementia Friendly Glencoe aligns with the Welcoming and Inclusive Community pledge adopted by the Village Board and its sister organizations, which have the goal of supporting diversity in the community and emphasizing that all are welcome and included. This initiative will span across community sectors thanks to the support of the Village of Glencoe, Family Service of Glencoe, District 35, Glencoe Park District and Glencoe Library.
Dementia Friendly Glencoe Activities
- Dementia Friends Training for Village of Glencoe staff, Glencoe Public Safety, Family Service of Glencoe, Glencoe Public Library, Glencoe Public Works, Glencoe Park District.
- Glencoe Cares Program: A packet of forms that include POLST, medication list and emergency contact list that is kept in in the freezer that can be accessed by first responders and transported with the Glencoe resident when transferred.
- Memory Cafe starting in June and being held in June, July and August at West School in Glencoe in collaboration with Loyola University School of Social Work.
- Presentation held on Glencoe Cares program and advance directives with public safety officer, emergency room physician and elder law attorney and another one scheduled this spring/summer.
- Case Consultations focusing on current and long-term support/interventions for loved ones living with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- Senior Discount Day scheduled to begin this summer in collaboration with Glencoe Chamber of Commerce that provides a discount at stores and restaurants for seniors on the 1st Tuesday of the month.
- Continued follow-up on crisis response calls pertaining to dementia specific issues per referral by Glencoe Public Safety.
Contact Dementia Friendly Glencoe
For information about Dementia Friendly Glencoe, please email Emily Mysel at firstname.lastname@example.org.