Dementia Friendly Springfield, IL seeks to raise awareness, reduce stigma, provide resources, and increase support for those living with dementia in our community through education, outreach and the coordination of resources/services. Springfield is the capitol city of Illinois with a diverse community that supports locally owned businesses, two state universities (UIS and SIU Medical School), a large and thriving Medical district, large park district, public library system, historical tourism, and state and city government offices. Dementia Friendly Springfield, IL represents and unites these many portions of our community with the common goal of creating supportive spaces for those who have dementia.
Dementia Friendly Springfield Activities
The Dementia Friendly Springfield, IL Task Force has already initiated the following steps towards Dementia Friendly Recognition:
- Discussed community needs and encouraged members of various sectors to coordinate efforts;
- Offered Dementia Friendly training to businesses and community services participating in Dementia Friendly Communities outreach;
- Engaged the Springfield Police Department, specifically Neighborhood Police Officers, to provide Dementia Friendly training with CIT (crisis intervention technique) training.
- In the process of engaging a city-wide retail pharmacy chain (Walgreens) and local grocery store chain (County Market) to provide Dementia Friendly training to staff.
- Coordinating Social Isolation and Dementia Friendly Community efforts to help identify and assist individuals in the community living alone with dementia (called “The Tom Initiative”).
Over the next year, the Dementia Friendly Springfield, IL Task Force plans the following efforts:
- Engage and train 911 dispatchers to help them respond to dementia related emergencies with trained first responders;
- Incorporate Dementia Friendly resources and contact numbers with 211 Emergency referral services in Sangamon County for Springfield, IL;
- Engage the Springfield public library system to incorporate Dementia Friendly training into their staff and to their clientele via public access computers;
- Participation in Springfield Area Senior Fairs, health fairs, and Caregiver events to promote Dementia Friends trainings and community efforts;
- Incorporate Dementia Friends information and training with Social Isolation and Loneliness trainings and interventions for businesses, agencies, and hospitals.
- Establish and host an annual Dementia Friendly Communities event for the City of Springfield.
- Complete a minimum of four Dementia Friendly Trainings and recruitment efforts within the community.
Contact Dementia Friendly Springfield
Carolyn Austin, CEO
AgeLinc 2731 S. MacArthur Blvd.
Springfield, IL 62704