Dementia Friendly Carterville Task Force is made up of representatives from a cross section of different sectors. The Task Force includes a local business owner of a marketing company, an Alderman in the City of Carterville, a professor of Social Work at SIU-Carbondale who leads a Gerontology Committee, a local lead with the Alzheimer’s Association, a former caregiver of a person with dementia, and staff from the local area agency on aging, which is the lead organization on this initiative.
Dementia Friendly Carterville Activities
- A Village Proclamation has already been adopted by the local government of Carterville and signed by the mayor.
- The Task Force has already conducted training with various groups in the city including clubs, groups, businesses, faith communities, first responders, and healthcare agencies.
- A national speaker was engaged to provide education.
- To include the voice of those in their community the Task Force utilized focus groups and conducted surveys.
- A Memory Café has been created for people with dementia and their family members.