Through initial discussions with representatives from the Orland Fire Protection District, home health, and the local state senator and representative, the Orland Park Task Force was created. This task force, which began meeting in January of 2020, represents the Orland Fire Protection District, Aishling Companion Home Care, Government Officials, Public Library, Police Department, Council on Aging, Chamber of Commerce and members of the Monthly Coffee and Conversation Group.
Dementia Friendly Orland Park – Goals
With input from persons with dementia and their family members, the Village of Orland Park has planned many activities to support the needs of people living in their community. Some prominent examples of engagement include:
- support groups and programming for caregivers,
- a Dementia Education week with various speakers and topics,
- development of a Dementia Friendly Orland Park website,
- ongoing community education, promotion and registration with the Premise Alert program, training for businesses,
- training for first responders has already begun and will continue through the next year,
- involvement in community events and have a yearly event at the time of the Dementia Resolution Day, and
- key members of the Task Force have already become Dementia Champions and will help members of their community to become a Dementia Friend.