Dementia Friendly Elgin, a collaboration between the Gail Borden Public Library District and the Northeastern Illinois Agency on Aging, has created a Dementia Friendly Advisory Council consisting of dedicated partners from local government, faith communities, law enforcement, the community and residential care services—making this a true community initiative. Together, their vision is to improve the lives, independence, welfare and dignity of those with memory issues, while maintaining the greatest level of compassion, expertise and integrity. Dementia Friendly Elgin is dedicated to strengthening and supporting those with memory impairments and their caregivers by raising awareness, reducing social stigmas, educating and communicating best practices.
As a dementia friendly community, we are dedicated to strengthening and supporting those with cognitive changes and their care partners by raising awareness, reducing societal stigma, providing education, and communicating best practices.
Our vision is to improve the lives, welfare, and dignity for those with cognitive changes, while maintaining the greatest level of compassion, expertise, and integrity.
Dementia Friendly Elgin Activities
- Recurring library programming designed in short segments on topics of interest for 24 senior/developmental care communities, serving 400 monthly.
- Covid Era Adaptation: live programs are being converted to video format. Presented so far: Great American Amusement Parks with special memories segment from local seniors; Men and Women of the Wild West with biographies, photographs of western scenery, and musical interludes. Activity directors download onto laptops, place laptops on rolling carts outside residents’ rooms, and residents watch from doorways. Videos range from 10 to 25 minutes in duration.
- Community Volunteer Greeting Card Program for 400 senior and developmental residents.
- Library Community Engagement Staff Greeting Cards to 400 senior/develomental residents.
- No-Shushing Movie at South Elgin Branch Library
- Community Needs Based Assessment
- Proclamation from Mayor Kaptain for June, 2019
- Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. Monthly Elgin Memory Cafe’ – now going virtual.
- Bilingual Cafe’ de los Recuerdos Memory Cafe’ every other month. Now going virtual.
- Monthly Dementia Friendly Elgin Advisory Council Meetings.
- Development of Resource Guide for first responders to give caregivers on calls, for medical offices, and now for use during Covid Era.
- Dementia Training for businesses and organizations. Staff is trained to present Stress Busters for Caregivers Program. Dates are Being Scheduled.